Welcome to Haidar's Honeypot

Hi, welcome to my blog, hope you enjoy the content.

Sunday 10 April 2011

Haidar's Honeypot

The naming of this Blog is rather sad, I spend almost half an hour going through the dictionary to find a letter that would alliterate with Haidar. My initial eureka moment was when I discovered the word 'head' and that it could be combined with Haidar to give the Blog title 'Haidar's Head', but then I thought nah its way too typical. So my quest for a Blog title continued until I stumbled across the word honeypot - and I thought wow this could really work. And here we have it - Haidar's Honeypot.


A brief update, I am absolutely swamped with a barrel of workload up to my elbows and knees that's going to keep me busy for at least two months. Did I mention it's exam season! I feel like a slave to my books, not a day goes by where I don't feel guilty for not doing enough and as much as I should. Add to that, working for the Census 2011 and me being brave enough to complete most of my 25-hour contract over the weekend keeps me unsociable. 


Over the weekend, I've been contemplating getting a cat, a really adorable one, one that makes you go' aaaw' , 'he's so cute' and 'look what he's doing!' kind of cat. It has to be one that does not shed so much fur such that its constantly belching hair-balls every five seconds.


I read this article, Why do people have to leave each other?, Saturday morning and I was honestly blown away by the conclusion. The writer sheds light on our relationships with other and how to define it:
"It means when you have friends, don’t expect your friends to fill your emptiness. When you get married, don’t expect your spouse to fulfill your every need. When you’re an activist, don’t put your hope in the results. When you’re in trouble don’t depend on yourself. Don’t depend on people. Depend on God."
I felt a fresh sense of empowerment like I was "unconquerable, because [my] supporter [could] never be conquered. And [I would] never become empty, because [my] source of fulfillment is unending and never diminishes." This colourful way of thinking extended throughout my day; my actions, my thoughts and my demeanour had radically changed in the course of an hour. I found comfort in the fact that actually this Dunya (material world) is imperfect - our outlook in this life should not be disappointing by the rollercoaster of life's ups and downs. "That is because if our inner state is dependent on something that is by definition inconstant, that inner state will also be inconstant. If our inner state is dependent on something changing and temporary, that inner state will be in a constant state of instability, agitation, and unrest. This means that one moment we’re happy, but as soon as that which our happiness depended upon changes, our happiness also changes. And we become sad. We remain always swinging from one extreme to another and not realizing why."


You'll have to read the rest of the article to truly understand what I'm talking about, it's deep - its not for the feint hearted. As always Suhaibwebb.com produces outstanding articles bu high-calibre scholars, so I highly recommend anyone interested to browse through and window shop some of the ideas, until then adios my amigos!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A very interesting read.

Good job you didn't call it 'Haidar's head' - would have sounded a little dodgy

Aside from arguments as to Gods true identity, your writings here are both applicable to Christians and Muslims - it is only through the creator God in which we find consistency and thus happiness